Saturday, February 23, 2008

Universal?

Following the elections there has been so much talk about "Universal Healthcare" but I wonder just what does "Universal" mean? I have a universal cresent wrench but it doesn't fit big bolts. My universal remote for the entertainment center is always on the fritz and doesn't work for off brand TVS. When Hillary and Obama talk about universal care, just what exactly are they saying they will pay for? I love when they throw out numbers about how much it will cost so they must have some ideas of what they will pay for. Will it be like Europe where you are over 65 so no dialysis for you,, artificial knee, no way? Or will it be pay for everything to get the vote? You can make it save a lot if you don't cover much. (Canada)

I know that it is politics so I should not expect much, but even with researching their plans I have yet to find out what they will pay for. There are general statements but nothing that actually spells it out. While they are debating the so far meaningless word "Universal", we will continue to take care of patients from France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Canada, Sweeden and the UK were "Universal Care" has been defined. (I know that there are patients from other countries with national healthcare but these are the countries that people have put pushpins on our "where are you from?" map.

1 comment:

SeaSpray said...

Good post Throckmorton.

I am usually a political junkie...especially in an election year, but I do not feel inspired by anyone.

I am going to have to start focusing more and just pick the best out of what is there.

Even if they did say they were going to implement something, I am not sure they will follow through.

The health care crisis is so complex that it will take more than one individual to turn things around. But someone has to start somewhere. I think that doctors have to become more proactive with what is needed in the system..you know... present a united front and all that. It seems counterproductive to have the insurance companies make money every time they deny claims or reduce reimbursements, etc.

There are just so many issues that need to be tackled. It must seem overwhelming even to you docs.

You can't eat an elephant all at once ...but you can eat it one bite at a time.