Saturday, January 14, 2012

Comes with the Job

There are many jobs where you can avoid certain circumstances or push the hard part off onto someone else. Many days, I wish I had one of those jobs. Instead, I have to be the one who walks into the waiting room and bring the parents into the consultation room to tell them that the frozen section shows the worst tumor possible and that it is rapidly fatal. You go into surgery for what seems like a routine thing, only to find out it is anything but. They were not expecting this kind of news, neither was I. You want to save them the grief, hide from the information, hope someone else has to bring the bad news, but you cant. It comes with the Job.

3 comments:

rnraquel said...

I'm sorry. I work with surgeons all day. Some seem to shrug off moments like this with no emotion whatsoever. I truly admire the surgeons who allow themselves some feelings and who are able to give the families some empathy and compassion. It is truly appreciated.

SeaSpray said...

Oh Throckmorton - I am sorry too. How awful for everyone involved. At least they had a *compassionate* doctor give them the news. That has to be one of the hardest things about being a physician.

Maybe they 'll get a miracle. I hope so.

{{{Throckmorton}}} -Cyber hug.

Cullen Habel said...

I'm glad there are people like you.