Saturday, November 9, 2013

Doppler Effect Turn Around Times

It seems that the closer you get to the setting sun, specifically closer to about 3 o'clock, the OR turn around times get longer.  The exact opposite happens once the sun sets as the times get shorter.  Looking into this phenomenon I found that it had nothing to do with space time but rather laziness.  The morning OR shift knows that if the case starts before two, they will have to do it and get the room set up.  If they drag their heels, there wont be time to set it up and then they can leave it for the second shift.  Since the second shift comes in at 3 the morning shift will push all the work on to the them.   They then have to set up everything and now you have a 2 hour delay.  The second shift then wants to get everything done and will hustle to get any follow on cases done so they can have the rest of the night to chill.  Rule to the wise, if you are NPO and have surgery scheduled for 2 or 230, remember the doppler effect and be ready to be hungry for at least 2 additional hours.

1 comment:

SeaSpray said...

I just assumed the surgeons are backed up with emergencies, etc.

That must be what I experienced on the floor once ...AFTER an OR procedure. I think I got up there around 6 pm. Hungry, THIRSTY, sore and tired, I was left sitting up on my bed with a still MESSY room and none of my stuff set up. Even told nurse about med needed and how I felt. Sure enough ..the nurse that came on at seven ...immediately got me squared away ...while commenting ...this isn't right ..just not right.

Also, I thought surgeons are particular about their OR times and behavior like that wouldn't fly very well?