Friday, August 20, 2010

Red dab of health!

I was sitting in the lounge when somebody brought up MRSA infections and saw that WhiteCoat did a geat article on it in his blog. I wondered.

Did anybody notice that the superbugs began to emerge at the same time the FDA banned mercurochrome? It is extremely active against all strains of staph and gram negs. In fact, it is one of the most effective topical agents.

The FDA banned it because of the mercury which was never shown to be absorbed to any degree or to lead to any problems. Just like the thermosol scare, mercurochrome became the enemy. Even though it is now proven to be very safe, no one will produce or sell it because of fear of lawsuits.

Like many sureons, I add a bit of bleach to the bath water every now and then to help decrease staph colonizations but I think I am also going to bring back some mercurochrome from our next mission trip! (That it, with the way things are going with healthcare, the next medical mission trip may be to Washington DC!)

2 comments:

SeaSpray said...

Ugh! This stuff creeps me out! especially since I just heard about that new bug that people are getting in India. i admit when I hear of it all spreading around the world ..it SCARES me!

My girlfriend (A cancer patient)is being treated for a staff infection now. I can't help but wonder if she picked it up from her surgeon who didn't wash his hands in his office before touching her drain(as reported by her husband), or from the hospital.

I heard a similar story regarding getting rid of insects and why there is a reemergence of bed bugs. GROSS! This was being discussed a couple of years ago on radio ..regarding malaria and other things caused by bugs. Ever since DDT was eradicated and something else and now don't recall.

I think that my girlfriend's mother used to put mercurochrome on them when they got cuts when we were little. Sounds real familiar.

re you saying that you personally put a little bleach in bathwater at home or is this a hospital surgical thing? Would a chlorinated pool get rid of staph germs?

And .. At one point you had the beginning of a mission blog up. TM,it would be neat to hear of some of your work in missions out in the field.

SeaSpray said...

Hi Throckmorton - I think you will appreciate this. :)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Yes-We-Scam-BS-We-Can-Believe-In-Obama-Approval-Plummets