Friday, June 24, 2011

Cooties Jump both ways

When I go to examine a patient, I always put on a pair of those purple gloves that I despise. Today, I went to see a patient and said hello and put on the gloves when the patient said that he did not want to be touched because Drs carry all kinds of germs and spread them from patient to patient. I paused and thought about it for a second. I had to see this gentleman because he had a huge abscess that he got from drug abuse. He was unkempt and had a rash all over that looked like a cross between meth skin and scabies. I dont think he had bathed in a while as the odor in the room reminded me of a gym bag that had been left in the trunk of a car in a hot day covered with all the old laundry that a football team could muster. Politely, I accommodated his wishes but I have to admit I was the one who was more worried of catching something.

2 comments:

Big Davey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SeaSpray said...

What? Throckmorton ..he didn't also ask you to remove your white coat and tie? (Assuming you weren't in scrubs ;)

That's funny ...imagining your expression /thought processes in the moment given the guy's lack of personal hygiene physical condition and potential drug use.

And then his lack of recognition for what he brings to the exam.

Classic example of remove the log from your own eye before you try to remove the spec from your brother's.

I think medical staff is often brave to jump into the situations they do with patients. Thank God for you all though. :) Have you ever had an odor stay with you until you can shower? That is a horrible thing to experience. I think some odors permeate clothing and get trapped on nasal hairs.