Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Go To Light

I was called in to see a patient in the middle of the night. As I was checking on them a code was called on the floor I was on. With great concern I poked my head out of the room hoping to see someone else in a white coat looking like they knew what they were doing going to the room where the code was happening. No such luck! I went over and started doing the doctor thing. Airway, tube in, pump chest, push drugs, pump, pump. In the middle of it all, it was pretty dark in the room. Someone recognized that fact and hit all the switches. There over the bed was an exam light that was stronger than a landing light of a 747, I mean it was blinding. Soon as it turned on we all had to squint. Someone in the back said, "dont go to the light"! We got the patient back, PEs suck! I couldnt help wonder how many of those "I saw a white light" stories where those darn exam lights.

1 comment:

SeaSpray said...

Oh boy the timing of THIS one Throckmorton!

Anyway ...Thank God YOU were there! Sounds very intense and ridiculously frustrating/challenging with the light.

Also an interesting question to ponder.

I just lost a close friend to lung cancer and she never smoked and did take care of herself. I wonder what she did see when she crossed over ...from her breath on this side to her breath on the next side ...assuming we even need breath in a spirit body outside of our atmosphere. heard an OBGYN once speak of his own NDE well ..I would call it an LADE (Life After Death Experience)because he WAS morgue ready dead. Anyway he said spirit bodies don't have organs ...and other interesting things.

Sorry I digressed.

Oh and congratulations on SAVING a life. that must feel so good when you get a win.